Students results for their NAPLAN have two important elements as to how they are reported:
- The scale
- The performance standards that are used
Results for NAPLAN are measured at a student level and compared to an assessment scale in each of the areas that they’re tested in. The scales that are used span across all the year levels from Year 3 to Year 9 and are divided into 10 bands. Not all bands are reported for each year level.
NAPLAN results have a national minimum standard that is defined and located on the assessment scale for each year level.
- Band 2 is the minimum standard for Year 3
- Band 4 is the minimum standard for Year 5
- Band 5 is the minimum standard for Year 7
- Band 6 is the minimum standard for Year 9
These standards are representative of the increasingly challenging skills and require increasingly higher scores on the NAPLAN scale.
The national minimum standards and common scales for NAPLAN results across all year levels are illustrated in the picture below: